Frenchies and Drinking Pool Water
With the Summer Heat now in full swing, everyone just wants some cool water to drink. This especially pertains to French Bulldogs, who easily suffer from heat exhaustion. For Frenchies that like to hang out outside, drinking pool water is an easy to cool down. But is this safe for Frenchies? Is Pool Water Safe for Frenchies? If your Frenchie drinks just a little pool water, it usually won't be a problem. The chlorine from pools is rarely high enough to cause immediate harm to Frenchies. But if your Frenchie drinks too much pool water, it can cause damage to the esophagus and lead to vomiting and internal damage. There is also the change that the pool does not have enough chlorine, and micro-organisms will start to multiply in the pool. If your Frenchie drinks contaminated pool water with these micro-organisms, there is potential for diseases or infections. Some pools use bromine instead of chlorine, which is safer for French Bulldogs to drink, but Frenchies shouldn't be encouraged to do so. If you find your Frenchie drinks pool water often;
Always make sure there is a bowl of fresh water for your Frenchie, and change it out every few hours if your Frenchie is insistent on playing outside.
Watch out for overheating and heat exhaustion in your Frenchie. If your French Bulldog seems lost, disoriented, or not able to control itself, action needs to be taken immediately.
The quickest way to cool down your Frenchie is place ice packs between its rear legs, and in extreme situations, place ice into the rectal cavity.
Water Intoxication in Frenchies Can Frenchies drink too much water? Although rare, water intoxication in Frenchies can happen when a Frenchie drinks too much water too fast, no matter the type of water. Symptoms of water intoxication include:
loss of coordination (including stumbling, falling, or staggering)
If your Frenchie is showing any of these signs, call your veterinarian and take your French Bulldog in as soon as possible. Can Frenchies drink saltwater? Your Frenchie may suffer from diarrhea if it consumes even a little saltwater. More than that, and it could be fatal. Drinking too much saltwater can lead to saltwater poisoning. The best thing you can do is to make sure your French Bulldog has access to freshwater and has plenty of it. Symptoms of saltwater poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, and seizures. If you notice any odd behaviors after a day at the beach, call your vet immediately. Lakes and ponds also present dangers. Blue-Green Algae Poisoning has been known to kill Frenchies who simply go for a swim and swallow water while playing. This bacteria is found in non-flowing freshwater during hot seasons. Blue-green algae can also grow in backyard ponds or swimming pools if they aren’t taken care of. The bottom line: do not let your French Bulldog drink directly from swimming pools, beaches, ponds, or lakes. If you suspect your French Bulldog has had a drink from toxic water, rinse them off, give them plenty of fresh water, call your vet, and monitor them for any changes. #FrenchBulldog #AKCFrenchBulldog #FrenchiePool #Frenchies #FrenchBulldogSummer #FrenchBulldogPools